Allergies and Asthma
The most common sign of an allergic reaction can be difficulty breathing. Allergies encompass allergens such as pollen, environmental allergens, food allergens, such as nuts and household allergens, such as dust mites.
Each allergic reaction can provoke several various signs, but your breathing will be adversely affected. The most frequent breathing symptoms of an allergic reaction are asthmatic symptoms, wheezing, coughing, nasal congestion and the inability to breathe. Any person who experiences these symptoms should consult his or her doctor immediately.
Hay fever or allergic rhinitis is the most familiar cause of difficulty breathing secondary to nasal swelling and congestion. Allergic rhinitis can result in a scratchy throat and irritated, red eyes but generally affects the nasal sinus airways.
When a person with hay fever interacts with an allergen, such as pollen or mold, or pet dander, the body releases specialized chemicals that induce the sinuses to become inflamed and swollen. The swollen tissue blocks airways, obstructing the person from breathing normally. This nasal congestion from allergies is treated with a combination of antihistamines and decongestants.
Allergy-induced asthma can cause prominent breathing trouble. When a person with allergy-induced asthma interacts with an allergen, the airways restrict and overproduce sputum, causing obstruction and the inability to breathe normally. Allergic asthma signs include a dry persistent cough, wheezing and a sore and tight chest, breathlessness and sleeplessness. Consult your doctor if you experience these symptoms. In intense cases, asthma can be life-threatening.
Anaphylaxis is when the body’s immune system overreacts, and the system panics and begins to shut down certain parts of the body. Anaphylactic shock is an uncommon allergic reaction that can be life-threatening. It is generally connected to certain insect bites and stings and food allergies. When you experience anaphylactic shock, the lips swell, you will become faint, you won’t be able to breathe effectively, and you may vomit. Immediate medical treatment is indicated. Once you experience anaphylactic shock, you need to remain under a doctor’s care for continued assessment and prevention.